Ace of Hearts cardiac support group

Click here to edit subtitle

AOH Visit to Audley end on the 27th June 2018

We met at our usual time of 0900 in the car park at Hall Place. The coach turned up at 0920 which was a little later than we expected. We all got on board ( …. In total as a couple had to cancel). The weather was rather cool that morning compared to the scorching temperatures we had previous days.

The coach left at about 0940. We had a good run there with no hold ups on the motorway so we arrived at ….. we were met in the car park by Chris, one of the English Heritage volunteer who explained a little about what to see and where to go. Gavin and Mike went to sort out the tickets and we all went for some refreshment in the lovely cafeteria.

By then the weather had warmed up and the sun was shining. Everyone was left to their own devices to organise the day at their leisure.

The grounds are very extensive, the gardens are large and beautiful.

The herb garden in particular was well worth a visit. It is huge and well maintained with so many herbs, fruits and vegetables.

The “parterre”, as it is called, behind the house is beautiful with lots of flowers in blooms.

Walking around the grounds was not a problem in the heat of the day as there are so many trees providing shade and lots of benches to have a rest.

Audley End stately home is one of the best we have been to.

It is very big and what makes it stand out are the displays explaining the daily lives of the people who lived there.

The kitchen, laundry room and the coal room (situated at the top of the house) were especially interesting.

Each room we went through had a member of the English Heritage who were very well informed and helpful.

The food in the cafeteria in the main house was very good and not too pricey.

A lovely ice-cream in the little outside cafe was very welcoming at the end of our visit before returning to the coach at 15.30 for our return journey.

Despite the fact that we were held up for 30 minutes on the motorway due to an accident we arrived back in Crayford safely around 1700.

Once again it was an excellent day out.

I think everyone will join me in thanking Guy, Mike and Gavin for organising it.

Regine Milkin